Queenstown was founded in 1853. It was intended to be a military outpost designed to protect the British subjects from attack during the time of the Frontier wars. The town was laid out around a central hexagon, which was to be the lager to which the citizens would flee in time of trouble. Although still a distinguishing feature of the town today, the hexagon was never used for its intended purpose.
Queenstown became a service town for farmers in the district. It was known for the quality of its wagon building and for the general quality of its (often) imported merchandise. Educational Institutions also flourished.
In the late 19th century, Queenstown prospered, and the huge local sand stone public buildings were built, most still standing today. The magnificent Town Hall facade is an example, as are the Methodist Church, the Anglican Church and the Dutch Reformed Church.
The Lawrence de Lange Nature Reserve, set on the slopes of the Madeira Mountain just outside Queenstown, has a number of trails worth exploring,
The Bongola Dam that supplies the town with its water is set in the hills surrounding Queenstown and offers some great spots for picnics and water sports.
Queenstown is nicknamed 'Rose Capital of South Africa', because of the large gardens and open places for flowers (especially roses) around and in the middle of the town.
A range of accommodation facilities are available in Queenstown including bed and breakfasts (B&B), self catering, lodges, game lodges, hotels etc.
|Queenstown Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||043 701 9600|