Geography and History
The small town of Alice, is situated at the confluence of the Tyumi and Gagha Rivers in the Amathole District of the Eastern Cape Province in South Africa.
Alice grew around a military encampment known as Fort Hare. While the area has been populated for many centuries, the town of Alice has its origins in the colonial period in the nineteenth century, having been formally established in 1852 to serve as an administrative centre for the surrounding district.
Many of the current political leaders in South Africa were educated here and at the University of Fort Hare, which was established to cater for the needs of black graduates from Lovedale and other schools. The University of Fort Hare is the repository of the archives of the African National Congress and houses one of the most significant collections of African Art on the continent.
|Alice Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||043 701 9600|